Ikea Circus Tent ($20) – What a steal! Emma is at an age where she loves going into play houses and under covers. It’s also pretty easy to set up or put away.
Kirkland’s Real Sliced Fruit ($17.64 for 20 bags) – These come in 3 flavors: apple, apple cinnamon, and banana and strawberries. Emma especially loves the apple ones. Recently these were recalled from Costco though so that kind of turns me off of them!
Appu Series on Youtube – Emma LOVES nursery rhymes and music in general. She really likes these youtube videos and can watch them all day long!
I’m A Big Sister – We were given this book from a friend to help Emma adjust to the idea of being a big sister. She LOVES this book and will almost always ask us to read it multiple times to her before bed.
Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD – This 5 star DVD teaches kids letters and the sounds they make. I wasn’t sure if Emma would enjoy this but so far she loves it. I was hoping to find something educational that she can watch and this seems to fit the bill!
Thumper Stuffed Doll – We went to Disnelyand with Emma for the first time this past month and before we left we let her pick out one souvenir. Surprisingly she picked out a stuffed animal (she’s never been super into stuffed animals) but for some reason she LOVES Thumper! She’s never even seen Bambi! I can’t seem to find the exact one we bought but he’s not particularly cute like the usual Thumper. He’s looking off to the side in a weird way. We actually tried to convince her to pick something “cuter” but she was stuck on Thumper ha ha.
We’ve had our ups and downs with bath time. Sometimes she goes through phases where she loves it and sometimes she hates it. I think she started hating it after realizing she hates getting her hair doused with water and having it get in her eyes. Man for the longest time she was dreading it and would want to get out of the bathtub as soon as I started soaping up her hair. Recently we figured out a routine that has helped and she is loving bath time again. She has always loved bath toys. One of her favorites was this windup dolphin we bought from the aquarium. I can’t find it online but it’s tiny and swims in the water. She would always try to catch it with her hands. We played with it so much that finally one day it just up and died on us. RIP windup dolphin.
Recently, I bought these highly rated bath letters and numbers made by Munchkin. Oh my goodness….she LOVES these things! She spends the whole bath time sticking them on the wall. I have been trying to get her to sort them by colors since we are working on colors right now. While she is busy sticking them on the wall, I quickly scrub her down.
(Only $6.99 and totally worth every penny!!!)
They are AWESOME! She looks forward to bath time now. When I start running the water, she tries to climb into the tub before I even have her diaper off! hehe. As for her hair, we’ve discovered it takes a team to wash it. Husband will hold her with her head back while I douse it with water. She is starting to learn that when we do it this way the water does not get in her eyes so she just whimpers a little…but no more tears!!! Yay!
BTW, if you are looking for a true tear-free shampoo…I highly recommend California Baby
This would be a great gift for a 1 year old’s birthday. Throw in a cute animal towel and you’re all set!
These were the top 10 things that Emma loved her first year of life. These would make great baby shower gifts!
1. Baby Banana Bendable Training Toothbrush – We also had the infamous Sophie The Giraffe, but Emma preferred this teether since it fit in her small hands more easily and the material seemed more fun to chew.
2. Books. I’ll do a future post on some of her favorite books but I’ve learned the classics are classics for a reason!
3. Summer Infant SwaddleMe – We had a variety of swaddlers but kept returning back to use these mostly. It was just the easiest one to use for new parents and quick. We also had The Miracle Blanket which was probably better at containing her hands but a bit more complicated to use!
4. Fisher-Price Rock ‘N Play Sleeper – We didn’t have this exact version of the Rock n Play but they are all basically the same. It provides a cozy, slanted place for baby to sleep. Emma loved sleeping in this and was often found here during the day!
5. Playtex Baby Drop-Ins – We had so much trouble with the bottle since Emma was breastfed but in the end she uses this at my inlaws while they are taking care of her. I LOVED this brand of bottles because it was one less thing to wash and it seems more sterile/clean in my opinion. Based on a tip from a friend, I bought the imitation liners from Target…much cheaper!
6. Baby Snacks – Like puffs, yogurt drops, rice crackers, etc…Emma loved them all. These Gerber Graduates Lil’ Crunchies were probably her all time favorite though. Babies love the independence of being able to eat finger foods like these by themselves. And even though we try to limit these snacks for her, they are a godsend when you are eating out and need something to distract them!
7. Windup Water Toy – We didn’t have this exact one but I couldn’t find the one we have online. But basically we used this while Emma takes her bath and she LOVES it. She always tries to catch her windup fishie.
8. Sound Machine – we started out with this portable Cloud b Gentle Giraffe that would only play for 45 mins at a time. I had to keep resetting it. Finally, we invested in a real sound machine and LOVE this one. Not only does it play white noise but it has 5 other settings including ocean, classical music, etc. It also has a nifty projector with 3 different cartridges. It has every feature I would want in a sound machine!
9. Yoga Ball – Emma fell asleep many nights while we bounced her on this yoga ball. Cheap and a free workout!
10. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes – This is one of the highest rated toys on amazon. It’s quite a simple toy with a few blinking lights and songs but all kids love it! The size is great for car trips too.